Union Station 80th Anniversary Celebration
Friday, May 3rd & Saturday, May 4th 2019 - Throughout the Station
L.A.'s iconic Union Station turns 80 this May. The largest train terminal in the Western United States opened eight decades ago in May 1939.
On May 3rd & 4th Union Station will celebrate its 80th Anniversary with a two-day community celebration allowing Angelenos to enjoy the beauty and history of the beloved downtown landmark
On Friday, May 3, Union Station will celebrate this momentous milestone with the more than 100,000 commuters and travelers that move throughout the station each day. From 1–7 p.m. the regal Waiting Room will feature live entertainment from L.A. bands the California Feetwarmers and the New Recessionaries along with guest performers on the station’s public piano.
A Living Gallery will feature an electronic photo retrospective of the station’s storied past, and the Del Oro Pacific Modular Railroad and Kids Exhibit will thrill train enthusiasts and visitors.
Additionally, some of the stations favorite eateries including Café Crepe and the Imperial Western Beer Company will include custom 80th anniversary menu items and drink specials to satisfy every taste, while the gift kiosks in the Waiting Room will deliver limited-edition Union Station anniversary T-shirts and merchandise.
On Saturday, May 4, Union Station welcomes Angelenos to enjoy the beauty and history of the beloved downtown landmark. From 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. the station’s majestic South Patio will come alive with music from Soul Fab (DJ John Gregory) SOL!D Selectors (DJ Mick Cole), DJ Funky Sole, urban soul from KCRW’s Raul Campos (with guest DJs) and performances from Mariachi Arcoiris de Los Angeles and Latin soul band Jungle Fire.
The patio will become a lively marketplace showcasing local artists and artisans with L.A.-inspired art, crafts and gifts including award-winning books from Angel City Press, limited edition candles from Lit Soul Candles, an eclectic collection of records from Amoeba Records, hand crafted plant holders from Geometric Fossils, handmade lotions, fragrances, body oils and soaps from El Asia Body Care, pop culture art from King Margot, modern iron on patches from Patchy Patchenstein, landscape photography from Tammy Fong Photography and a variety of local goods from the LA County Store.
The city’s hottest food trucks including hand pressed burgers from Son of a Bun, Japanese fusion comfort food from Tokyo Doggie Style, Mexican classics from G’s Taco Spot on Wheels, elevated vegan food from Lettuce Feast, Caribbean Asian fusion from Woke - Around the World, fresh fruit juice from Nicole Juicery and handmade ice cream from Mike's Ice Cream will provide guests with a diverse and delicious taste of L.A.
A Beer Garden from the Imperial Western Beer Company and Arts District Brewing Company will offer a curated selection of craft beers and beer tasting throughout the day.
From 10 a.m.- 4 p.m. the North Patio will be transformed into a Family Fun Zone including a Griffith Park Travel Town activity corner, a Giggle Factory play zone and a kids’ concert series featuring a workshop from Rhythm Child and performances from Angel Bird and Jazzy Ash and the Leaping Lizards along with sweet treats from Nomad Ice Pops and Alfredo’s Tropical Frescura.
From 3:30 - 9 p.m. the Historic Ticketing Hall will become a hub of live entertainment featuring some of L.A.’s favorite bands including 30’s and 40’s jazz classics from Dave Stuckey and the Hot House Gang, big band funk from The Phil Ranelin Jazz Ensemble, Ska from Western Standard Time Ska Orchestra and the pan-Latin sound of Buyepongo. Cast members of the touring Cirque du Soleil Amaluna, will entertain guests between performances.
Built in 1939 as a portal to the promise of the California dream, Union Station is an architectural gem; and docents from Metro Arts will be conducting two art and architecture tours at 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Saturday to showcase the splendor of the station. Tours will start in the station’s East Portal ajacent to the aquarium.
UNION STATION 80TH ANNIVERSARY EVENT SCHEDULE
FRIDAY, MAY 3
- 1:30 - 2:30 pm: California Feetwarmers
- 9:00 am - 5:00 pm: Del Oro Pacific Modular Railroad and Kids Exhibit (May go to 7:00 pm)
- 9:00 am – 7:00 pm: Living Gallery – Photo Retrospective
- 10:30 am - 8:00 pm: Café Crepe 80TH Celebration Happy-Hour
- 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm: New Recessionaires
- 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm: Guest Pianist
- 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm: New Recessionaires
- 6:00pm - 7:00 pm: Guest Pianist
- 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm: Imperial Western 80TH Celebration Happy-Hour
SATURDAY, MAY 4
- 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 am: Tours
- 10:00 am – 10:30 am: Art & Architecture Tour (English and Spanish)
- 11:00 am – 11:30 am: Art & Architecture Tour (English and Spanish)
- 10:00 am – 10:00 pm: Del Oro Pacific Modular Train and Kids Exhibit
- 10:00 am – 7:00 pm: Living Gallery – Photo Retrospective
Marketplace: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
- • Angel City Press
- • Amoeba Records
- • Geometric Fossils
- • Lit Soul Candles
- • El Asia Body Care
- • King Margot
- • Patchy Patchenstein
- • Tammy Fong Photography
- • LA County Store
- • Power Crunch
Community Out-Reach: 10:00 am - 8:00 pm
- • MCE – Transit Safety Programs On-the-Move Riders Program
- • LEGA – Special Project: NexGen, LRTP
- • LEGA – Sepulveda Pass, West Santa Ana Branch, LINK US, LA River Project
- • PM – CLAX, PPL, Regional Connector
- • PM – Eat, Shop, Play
Café Crepe Patio Open with 80TH Celebration Happy-Hour & Crepe Special: 10:00 am – 8:00pm
Entertainment: 11:00 am – 8:30 pm
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm: SOUL FAB / DJ John Gregor
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm: Mariachi Arcoiris de Los Angeles
- 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm: SOL!D Selectors/DJ Mick Cole
- 3:30 pm - 5:30 pm: DJ Funky Sole
- 5:30 pm - 6:30 pm: Jungle Fire
- 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm: KCRW DJ Raul Campos
Beer Garden: 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Sponsored by: Imperial Western Beer Company & Arts District Brewing Company
Food Trucks: 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- • Son of a Bun
- • Nicole Juicery
- • Tokyo Doggie Style
- • G’s Taco Spot on Wheels
- • Lettuce Feast
- • Mike’s Ice Cream
- • Woke – Around the World Truck
Activities: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- • Giggle Factory
- • Griffith Park Travel Town Kids Zone
- • California High Speed Rail
- • Operation Lifesaver
- • RailPAC
- • SOCATA (Southern California Transit Advocates)
Treats: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
- • Nomad Ice Pops
- • Alfredo’s Tropical Frescura
Entertainment: 11:00 am – 4:00 pm
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm: Rhythm Child
- 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm: Angel Bird
- 3:00 am - 4:00 pm: Jazzy Ash and the Leaping Lizards
Traxx Restaurant Patio Open: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm
Entertainment: 3:00 pm – 9:30 pm
- 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm: Cirque du Soleil - Amaluna
- 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm: Dave Stuckey and the Hot House Gang
- 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm: The Phil Ranelin Jazz Ensemble
- 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm: Western Standard Time Ska Orchestra
- 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm: Buyepongo
Union Station is accessible via Metro Rail, Metro Bus and several municipal bus lines. Use the Trip Planner at metro.net for routes and connections. Car and bicycle parking are also available on site.